Wednesday, July 25, 2012

rude awakening.

I am currently in school studying Public Leadership and Management. In our last module we were focused on values based leadership. Basically, how to lead authentically leveraging your ethical and personal value characteristics. One quick exercise we did was a personal values in practice via a ten-day assessment of six critical domains:
  • Work/Professional 
  • Family/Home 
  • Community/Social 
  • Personal Health
  • Sleep/Rest
  • Spiritual
I took each one of these domains and literally counted how many hours (based on a 24 hour day for 10 days= 2400 hours) I spent on activities associated with each domain. Here is what I startlingly came up with.


As seen above, work and sleep are the domineering domains in my life. Home/Family come shortly behind (lucky Darren) and personal health and social/community are merely but wedges in the pie. Spirituality didn't even make it on the graph. 

This isn't really a surprise to me BUT seeing it laid out like this did give me a new sense of awakening. I realize I'd like my graph to be a bit more balanced and am a bit more motivated now to do it.

If you feel so inclined and need an extra push to regain balance - you might try this exercise out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment